Sunday, July 5, 2009

My experience with HDTV usb sticks

I could install 950Q under ubuntu 9.04 (earlier under 8.04 also). I used the cvs version of v4l-dvb (checked out Jul-4-09). I use kaffeine 0.8.8 to tune and watch. It works fine in the sense that I am able to watch crisp 1080i video with 5.1 Dolby audio. The experience is fantastic.
Though there are some issues which I would like to share:

1. Once a channel is tuned to, for several tens of seconds I keep getting patches in the video similar to a weak signal. But the signal is strong. Another usb stick that I tried (AVerMedia) works fine with the same antenna.

2. On HD channels the audio doesn't come on for an unpredictable amount of time after tuning in. If I pause and unpause the audio seems to come quickly.

3. SNR reading and epg don't work.

4. Signal strength LED doesn't seem to work. On strong strations, if I bring up the channel tuning window (by pressing c) the LED will quickly become green.

5. Overall my impression is that the reception stability (video interference due to may be multipath, other channel interference, or tuning stability) of Hauppauge 950Q is poorer compared to AVerMedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max (H826D) whose driver provided on their site just worked (except the epg and FM).

Arun

No comments: