Sunday, July 5, 2009

AverMedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max (H826D)

I bought an AverMedia usb tuner stick. It works really well in Ubuntu 9.04 with the driver provided on their web site. I get above 30 digital channels with an external antenna. I am 10 miles from DC. After enjoying some crisp HD pictures (1080i) and the 5.1 digital surround audio free over the air (OTA) what better thing to do than to open it up and see what is inside?
Here it goes.







The pictures are taken at night, so excuse the quality.
The main chips used are:

LGDT3304 - ATSC (digital tv) decoder
NXP TDA18271HDC2 - tuner
SAA7136E/1/G - analog demodulator
CY7C68013A - usb driver, 8051 microcontroller

4 comments:

POV said...

hey!! so what software did you download? cause i just cant find it and for me it did not go that well im still trying to make it work

arunkm said...

The driver is available here:
http://www.avermedia-usa.com/avertv/Support/Download.aspx?Type=Software&id=431&tab=APDriver

I use linux (ubuntu 9.04) . It works great.

To play the tv I use mythtv which is a really capable PVR software.
Earlier I had some success with kaffeine also.

Let me know if you have difficulties.

Anonymous said...

friends i live in Ghana but i have this product can i use in here in Ghana.

arunkm said...

"friends i live in Ghana but i have this product can i use in here in Ghana."
Hi,

You could use it if the television transmission in Ghana is either ATSC (ie. digital) or NTSC (ie. analog) .
My search in google suggests that Ghana uses the PAL system. So it might not work for you.

However, AVerMedia A301, A306 and A316 all support PAL .

Good luck
arun